Thursday, April 10, 2008

India Past Trip Write-Up 2006

For something fun I thought I would publish the e-mails I sent about past trips...this was before my blogg.

India 2006:
As some of you know or may not…I am currently in Hyderabad, India for work.

Day 1-3 (it all blurs together):
Tried to take lady out at Denver airport when two of my bags decided to jump ship on the escalator (they just kept sliding down) while on my way to the check in counter…I'm surprised that it didn't break her legs…What was my name in the whole situation…Jan, Jan Brady.
Got on plane in Denver at 08:30 local time (2 hour flight). Had 2 hour layover in Chicago. Get on plane for Frankfurt (8 hour flight). Thank goodness my company had the sense to put me in "Economy Plus", although I think I need first class next time (seats turn into little beds). Did not get much sleep at all on this flight.

Arrived in Germany ~06:30 local time…had a 5 hour layover in Germany…jet lag starts to set in. Couldn't find any place open to convert currency to Euros…so had to eat at McDonald's with credit card. Mumm…cheeseburger at 6am local time. Is this what Mr. Jimmy Buffet was talking about?? Also last time I will see ice.

Get on plane to Hyderabad ~11:15 local time (another 8.5 hour flight). Jet lag has officially set in and I feel like I am drunk as a skunk…without having had one drink. So needless to say, I am out like a light from take off. I must note…I am the only skinny little blonde on the plane…everyone else was either very very tan or maybe a different culture…I will let you all ponder that one. When I did finally awake, the airline attendant stated "you slept the entire time, we have been keeping an eye on you"…WHAT?? Is there something I needed to know about my safety??
Get off plane in India (local time now 23:30). Customs was a breeze. Getting my luggage however took over an hour. Once I acquired my luggage…the fun begins. I now have to find my driver in a sea of beggars…but first I had to pee. I now get my first experience of a toilet in India. There is a reason mother's teach their daughters the "hover" technique. Every heard of the "cocaine nail"…well here it is the left hand and not used for snorting…there ain't no toilet paper, all there is is a little trickling faucet in the stall with you…think hard kids. Although the beggar woman in the bathroom did have toilet paper for me…I really did try to tip her 3 quarters…but she didn't want them…she wanted "dollar"…that's all I could understand…and I didn't have a paper one. So NO TIP FOR YOU. I kinda felt like the bathroom Nazi.
Anyway…on to finding the driver…It is now 01:00 local time…In the sea of beggars and taxi drivers, I find a gentleman with a sign with my name on it…and off we go. We almost ran over, no less than 3 motorcyclists for the 6km ride to the hotel. Again…have no Rs (rupees) so no tip for him either…although I don't even know if I am supposed to tip or not. I just make a beeline for the hotel door.

All checked in…I must say, all of the hotel floors are marble and countertops are granite. I'm still trying to figure out how I can sneak it on the plane with me. There are some sort of protests going on…so no going out. At this point I haven't got the nerves to try and venture out by myself…also still tired.

My co-workers will be taking me out tomorrow. "I feel today you can take rest as it being a local bund called by Naxalites (protests). We can go to Charminar, Chudi Bazaar and have Hyderabad biryani at Hotel Paradise (dinner at 8:00 pm is ok with you!!!)." Maybe I will have more to report on the local culture side tomorrow.
I must now nap again.

Let's see, where did I leave off…Oh yes, sleeping all day to try and get over jet lag…I am still not sleeping through the night (as it is 5am local time and 5:30 pm CO time)


Day 4 (Sunday):
I must make a small correction to Saturday…there was not a religious holiday, it was protests from the extremist groups…good thing I didn't go try and venture off by myself.
Sunday brings a day of outings…to the Charminar (four tombs). The first thing to note is the heat and humidity as I walk out of the hotel. This was a very interesting site…it is located in the "old" part of the city…Muslim dominated, so of course I am not covered in a burka. Talk about getting starred at…but let me back up to the drive over to the site. Traffic is crazy here…there are no "lanes" so to speak of…everyone just drives where ever…I was told that at least 5 people get run over everyday. As one walks to places of interest…you must learn to not get run over by cars, buses, and/or "two wheelers" aka motorbikes. After visiting the tombs…off to the bizarre we go. If you have ever been to NYC and into Chinatown…it has nothing on this place. It was the craziest place I have ever been…one almost feels a bit uncomfortable walking up and down the lanes. The shop owners send out the kids to try and get you to walk into the shops…and they all have the same krap. Anyone want a 9k gold bracelet…can't guarantee that it won't turn your arm green. Have I mentioned yet how hot and humid it is here?!? Also worth mentioning is that the air pollution is so bad here that it is like smoking 20 cigarettes a day to breath the air.
After the bizarre, we go to a famous hotel for dinner…this is my first experience of Biryani. This is supposed to be a spicy indian rice dish. One must also keep in mind that Mutton is goat here in India…I opted for the chicken biryani…although I cannot guarantee that they didn't kill the chicken in the kitchen. Oh well…it was good. On the way to dinner…the beggars were pounding on the windows of the car…beggars with no arms, no hands, etc…just keep looking forward Melody…don't turn your head and draw more attention. I don't know who wanted to stare more…them at me or me at them.

Day 5:
Work actually starts…pooh…but after work we head for the bar for cocktails. I am the only women in the bar…this is where I experience my first "Indian" beer...

Day 6 will bring more work…and an outing to an old fort and more restaurants.

No comments: